Office Directions: 7900 Nova Dr., Suite 205, Davie, FL 33324
Peregrine Law, P.A.
Call Us Today!
Fort Lauderdale Immigration > Immigration FAQs

Fort Lauderdale & Davie Immigration FAQs

If you are a non-citizen living, working, or conducting business in the United States, you likely have many questions about U.S. immigration laws. Here are answers to just a few of the most common questions people have when they are considering permanent residency status or U.S. citizenship. For more information regarding your specific concern, please contact our office to schedule a consultation. Based in Davie, we represent clients throughout the Fort Lauderdale area.

What are my rights as a permanent resident?

Once you are a permanent resident of the United States (i.e. you have obtained your green card), you will enjoy certain rights that non-residents do not have. These include:

  • You may live and work permanently anywhere in the United States.
  • Once you are eligible, you may apply for U.S. citizenship.
  • You may request visas for your spouse and unmarried children to live in the U.S.
  • If you are eligible, you may receive Social Security, Supplemental Security Income, and Medicare benefits.
  • You may own property in the U.S.
  • You may apply for a driver’s license in your state.
  • You may leave and return to the U.S. under certain conditions.
  • You can attend public school and college.
  • You can join certain branches of the U.S. armed forces.
  • You may purchase or own a firearm, as long as there are no state or local restrictions against having one.

What are my responsibilities as a permanent resident?

Your ability to fulfill the requirements of permanent residency can affect your ability to obtain U.S. citizenship down the road. The responsibilities you have as a permanent resident include:

  • You must obey all federal, state, and local laws.
  • You must pay federal, state, and local income taxes.
  • If you are a male between ages 18 and 26, you must register with the U.S. Armed Forces Selective Service.
  • You must maintain your immigration status.
  • You must carry proof of your permanent resident status at all times.
  • Within 10 days of each time you move, you must change your address online or provide it in writing to the Department of Homeland Security.

If my green card expires while I’m applying for naturalization, do I need to apply for a new card?

If you apply for naturalization six months or more before the expiration date on your green card, you do not have to apply for a new card. If you apply for naturalization less than 6 months before the expiration date on your green card, or if you do not apply for naturalization until your card has already expired, you must renew your card.

Share This Page:
Peregrine Law, P.A.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Google Plus
  • tel:
  • toll-free:
  • fax:
7900 Nova Dr., Suite 205,
Davie, FL 33324

Peregrine Law, P.A. is located in Davie, FL and serves clients in and around Hollywood, Fort Lauderdale, Dania, Pompano Beach, Pembroke Pines, Deerfield Beach, Opa Locka, North Miami Beach, Boca Raton, Hialeah, Miami, Miami Beach, Broward County, Miami-dade County and Palm Beach County.

MileMark Media - Practice Growth Solutions

© 2015 Peregrine Law, P.A. All rights reserved.
This law firm website is managed by MileMark Media.

Contact Form Tab